Backpacking Bell Mountain Wilderness In Missouri

Got some trip suggestions at another National Park, or know of a great place in the middle of no where? Share them here, plan your trips, and hook up with other individuals on the forum.

Moderator: alecto73

LarryL
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Backpacking Bell Mountain Wilderness In Missouri

Post by LarryL »

Anybody ever done it?

I’m looking for something midwestern, about the same distance from the Chicago area as a jaunt up north to Isle Royale or the Porkies, but that I can do when Isle Royale is shut down.

I came across this place (part of the Ozark Mountains/St. Francois Mountains) and the geology sounds interesting. Just want to get away for maybe 3-4 nights in late October-early November.

Thanks!
2 visits (2002 and 2009) and counting
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Re: Backpacking Bell Mountain Wilderness In Missouri

Post by Midwest Ed »

I've never been but after a bit of research it does look interesting. In places, it has similar volcanic origin geology as that on The Island. The main downside I see is many of the trails are multiuse to be shared with bikes and horses. Paddling appears to be popular as well.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
Kelly
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by Kelly »

I've been a few times, always in March and always from the Ottery Creek Trailhead.

It would be wise to check in with the ranger district in advance to make sure there aren't any planned closures. Those happen for various reasons.

There are also some nice parts of the Ozark Trail.
2012 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021 | 2022 | 2023 | 2026 A Minong thorough hike
LarryL
LNT Expert

Post by LarryL »

Midwest Ed wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 3:29 am I've never been but after a bit of research it does look interesting. In places, it has similar volcanic origin geology as that on The Island. The main downside I see is many of the trails are multiuse to be shared with bikes and horses. Paddling appears to be popular as well.
Thanks, Ed. Good observation as always. One of the articles said it was one of the few places in the middle our country that had not ever been under a sea or glaciated.
LarryL
LNT Expert

Post by LarryL »

Kelly wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 3:54 am I've been a few times, always in March and always from the Ottery Creek Trailhead.

It would be wise to check in with the ranger district in advance to make sure there aren't any planned closures. Those happen for various reasons.

There are also some nice parts of the Ozark Trail.
Thanks for the reply, Kelly! It’s good to hear you’ve liked it enough to have multiple visits. I will check out the Ottery Creek Trailhead.